The Truth about Roof Algae and What Roof Contractors Don't Want You to Know.
Some roofing contractors don't know what these black streaks are, saying “It's the asphalt showing through the shingles.” or “The streaks are water stains”. In most cases the contractors know it is algae, but tell you it can't be cleaned without damaging the shingles. In any case, they will tell you that the roof needs to be replaced. This is not true if your shingles are still in good shape. The algae can be killed and removed properly without damaging the shingles using a “Soft Wash Method” of low pressure chemical application and water removal (recommended by shingle manufacturers).
We do not recommend cleaning shingles that are in need of being replaced. If you're not sure if your roof needs replaced or cleaned, here are some signs of an aged roof:
- Brittle or crumbling shingles.
- Excessive amount of shingle granules in your gutters.
- Bottom corners of shingles curled up.
- Wavy, warped, or heaved shingles.
- Very thin or loose shingles.
If you are still unsure about the status of your roof, we will be glad to evaluate it for you. We will not clean shingles that need replacing, because cleaning the roof won't solve the problem if the shingles are aged. On the other hand, if you call a roofing contractor, you may not get the whole truth and may be persuaded into replacing a roof that only needs cleaning.
- Did you know that besides being an eye sore, the algae (called Gloeocapsa Magma) holds water within the shingles causing premature aging, rotting, and shorten life span of your shingles by dislodging the granules that protect and give your shingles color?
- Did you know the dark color of the algae causes your roof to become less reflective and the algae starts absorbing and retaining heat which can raise your utility bills making your home less energy efficient.
- Did you know the algae stains start growing on the north side of a roof and in just a couple of years can infest your roof and home.
- Did you know the algae feeds on the crushed limestone that is used in asphalt shingles. Rain and wind then spreads the algae down the roof causing the black streaks.
- Did you know that companies like Owens Corning, GAF, and the Asphalt Roofing Manufacturers Association recommend a low pressure chemical application using certain cleaners to restore shingles suffering from roof algae, followed by a low pressure rinse. We use the cleaners and methods recommended by these companies, for a safe and damage free roof cleaning. If your shingles are still in good shape but have roof algae on them, having your roof cleaned will allow you to get the full life out of your shingles, saving you thousands of dollars.
Aqua Clean uses the “Soft Wash Method” to clean your roof. We use a powerful biodegradable and plant friendly chemical cleaner that is safe for your asphalt shingle, tile, wood, and metal roofs. Our “Soft Wash Method” fully kills and removes all the algae, mold, and mildew that are discoloring your roof. We combine our cleaning solution with no-pressure washing which makes your roof shine like new without damaging the roof and at the fraction of what it would cost to replace a roof. Call Aqua Clean today for a Free Estimate.